Trenton Spotlight
patriots-week
Join thousands of visitors and enjoy art music, literature, battlefield re-enactments, and living history events.  Learn More

TRENTON SOCIETY OF FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE

  • 142 East Hanover Street
  • Trenton, NJ 08608
  • Artwork Creator: n/a
  • Hours: Sunday service at 10am
  • Access: Open to public
  • Sponsor/Project: n/a
  • Project Date: 1739

“Trenton Friends Meetinghouse is the city's oldest continuously operating house of worship, its original structure dating back to 1739. Indeed, it is one of the oldest surviving buildings in Trenton. When it was built in 1739, Trenton was a little settlement of less than one hundred houses north of the Assunpink Creek, although the population temporarily swelled twice a year, when fairs attracted a varied populace from the neighboring countryside.” – Trenton Meeting of Friends History

“Built in 1739, this Quaker Meeting House was occupied by British troops in December 1776. It is open for Sunday service at 10 AM.” – Downtown Trenton Artwalk

“In the burying-ground adjoining the Meeting House are buried many citizens who played prominent parts in the early history of the city. Among these are Dr. Thomas Cadwalader, first burgess of the free borough of Trenton, 1746-50; Colonel Lambert Cadwalader, his son, who was a member of both the Continental and Federal Congresses: General Philemon Dickinson, head of the New Jersey militia in Revolutionary days; Richard Howell, Governor of New Jersey, 1792-1801; and George Clymer, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. A copy of an engraving by John Sartain after a miniature of George Clymer by Benjamin Trott, probably made about the year 1788, now hangs in the library on the first floor of the Meeting House.” – Trenton Historical Society

enews

Trenton

eNewsletter Signup:

New Jersey visitnj.org
Powered by Simpleview