Trenton Spotlight
patriots-week
Join thousands of visitors and enjoy art music, literature, battlefield re-enactments, and living history events.  Learn More

NEW JERSEY STATE NORMAL SCHOOL / TRENTON STATE COLLEGE BUILDINGS

  • 159 North Clinton Ave.
  • Trenton, NJ 08609
  • Artwork Creator: n/a
  • Hours: n/a
  • Access: Demolished
  • Image Source: View Image Source
  • Sponsor/Project: n/a
  • Project Date: Late 1800s

“The College of New Jersey's academic tradition reaches back to 1855 when it was established by the state legislature as the New Jersey State Normal School. It was the first teacher training school in the state and the ninth in the nation. Governor Rodman Price, sometimes called the founder of the New Jersey Normal School, promoted the idea of a training institute for New Jersey's teachers and mobilized support among influential state leaders. Originally located on Clinton Avenue in Trenton, the Normal School flourished in the latter 1800s, expanding both its academic offerings and physical facilities. In 1925, the first four-year baccalaureate degree program was established. This change marked the beginning of TCNJ's transition from a normal school to a teachers' college and was accompanied by a change in physical surroundings. In 1928, a beautiful 210-acre tract of land in Ewing Township was purchased as a new site for The College.” – The College of New Jersey

“The original campus was not at 2000 Pennington Road in Ewing, but at what is now 159 North Clinton Ave. in Trenton. The old buildings have since been demolished, but the location can easily be found at what is now Grant Elementary School, constructed in 1938.” – Gunter, Brianna. “Ch-ch-changes: the evolution of the College.” The Signal. 31 Aug. 2011. (Online) Available. http://www.tcnjsignal.net/2011/08/31/ch-ch-changes-the-evolution-of-the-college/

enews

Trenton

eNewsletter Signup:

New Jersey visitnj.org
Powered by Simpleview