“The consolidation of land for the creation of Mercer Cemetery reportedly took place in 1841, with plot sales and interments commencing in 1842. It was not until 23 February 1843, however, that ‘Mercer Cemetery at Trenton’ was incorporated by the New Jersey Legislature with Charles C. Yard, Joseph C. Potts, Samuel Lloyd, Alexander H. Armour, David Witherup and Joseph A. Yard as cooperators. From its formation until at least the 1890s, Mercer Cemetery was considered a premier burial location by Trenton's elite. In 1892, however, portions of the graveyard were sold off to improve the corporation's financial position. Business gradually tapered off, with only a few interments per year by the 1930s. The last burial in Mercer Cemetery took place in 1973.” – NJ Department of State, Archives Collection
In the late 20th Century, the cemetery was treated by Henry F. Arnold, founding partner of Arnold Associates.