“John A. Roebling, German immigrant, inventor of wire-rope cable and designer of the Brooklyn Bridge, left a legacy of creative thinking to the three sons—Washington, Charles and Ferdinand—who would carry on the family business. The Roebling brothers built several grand homes along West State Street from the late 19th to the early 20th century, but 222 West State Street is the only Roebling mansion still standing. It was the home of Ferdinand W. Roebling, Sr., secretary-treasurer of John A Roebling & Sons Company. Both his son, Ferdinand W. Roebling, Jr. (the driving force behind the fundraising effort to build Trinity Cathedral) and grandsons lived in the house over time. Later, it was used for legal offices. The building is listed on both the State and National Registers of Historic Places and has weathered several bouts of controversy since 1990, when a local developer wanted to demolish it for a new office building, and later when the city planned demolition.” – Trenton Historical Society
“The Roebling family, known for developing wire-rope cable and designing the Brooklyn Bridge, built several mansions along West State Street during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Located in Trenton’s State House historic district, this is the only remaining Roebling mansion.
The building was vacant for over 30 years, during which time a local developer attempted to demolish it. The city acquired the building from the developer in 1998 through eminent domain. It remained vacant for seven more years. In 2003, the Trenton Historical Society’s Preservation Committee named the building one of the “10 most endangered buildings” in Trenton.
Mayor Palmer knew this building was an important landmark and wanted to see it rehabilitated. For several years, Bill Dressel, executive director of the New Jersey State League of Municipalities, had been looking for a larger building in the area and had hoped to move closer to the State House. The league acquired the building from the city of Trenton in June 2005.” – Erin Mierzwa, Cascade (the community affairs publication of the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia)
“The mansion is the last remaining residence in the city associated with the Roebling family, producers of wire rope that helped make Trenton a major industrial center. Built c.1856, possibly in a Greek or Italianate style, the structure was remodeled c. 1870, and a distinctive octagonal, paneled room was added.” – New Jersey Historic Trust
Note: Now houses the NJ State League of Municipalities.