“Construction of the original bridge, known as the ‘City Bridge’, began in 1859. It opened to traffic on July 1, 1861. The wooden bridge continued in service for 23 years until the evening of June 25, 1884, when disaster struck. The bridge was completely destroyed in one of the most spectacular fires ever witnessed in the area.
The ‘City Bridge’ was replaced with an iron truss structure using the original stone masonry piers and abutments, undamaged by the fire. Built by the Phoenix Bridge Company of Phoenixville, Pennsylvania and opened to traffic on October 20, 1884, the bridge is the same structure standing on the site today. A local newspaper of the day reported that 16 two-horse vehicles, 7 one-horse vehicles and 175 pedestrians crossed over the bridge on the first day. A trolley line was operated on the bridge for several years in the early part of the twentieth century. The Bridge is a Phoenix Pratt truss with a total length of 1,274 feet. A timber plank pedestrian sidewalk is supported by the upriver truss on steel cantilever brackets.” – Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission